It can be hard to stay healthy…When you are busy and stressed, it is easy to forget to take care of yourself. I know that I struggle to be healthy the most when I am going through a bout of depression. Either I don’t eat, or I eat something processed that sounds like a good idea, but ends up making me feel worse in the end. So today, I thought I would share with you a few things that I do almost every day to be just a bit healthier.
- Drink Water. This one might seem a little obvious, but a really simple way to help your body is to drink water! I try to drink two cups of water first thing in the morning to jumpstart my system. Then throughout the day, I try to drink between 2-3L of water. If you have trouble with drinking water, try adding fruit or lemon slices to add some flavor.
- Green Powders. After my water, I’ve been having either a smoothie or just some orange juice with green powders mixed in. Currently, the two powders I am using are spirulina and barley grass juice powder. Spirulina contains 60% protein and is an excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12 and iron, manganese and chromium. While barley grass juice powder contains beta carotene, vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, and folic acid.
- Yoga. I like to take 10-15min each morning to do a little yoga outside. It helps to wake up my muscles and get me ready to conquer the day. You don’t have to be a master yogi to do this. I’ve taken a couple classes and watched a few videos, but now I just roll out my mat and move my body. It is that simple.
- Consume Fermented Foods. Fermented foods like saurkraut and kombucha will help introduce good bacteria into your gut, which will lead to better digestion and a happy gut leads to better overall health!
- Load Up on Fruits and Veggies. I’ve found that personally, I feel the best when eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies throughout my day. I like to drink smoothies, eat whole fruits, and have big salads at dinner or simply just eat some steamed veggies. The more you eat them, the better they will taste and the healthier you will feel!
- Eat an Early Dinner. My mom has always had me eat an earlier dinner, and I didn’t really know why until I was on my own. Eating an earlier dinner leads to better digestion and better sleep! And both of those things will lead to you feeling a lot healthier.
- Go to Bed Early. I’ve always heard that the hours of sleep that you get before midnight count as double. Unfortunately, this isn’t true, but during the first third of our sleep cycle, we experience our deepest sleep. This is the time that is the most restorative for our bodies, so hop into bed a little earlier and take advantage of your slow wave sleep.
I am by no means perfect. Hence the quotation marks in the title. There are certainly days that involve sleeping in till 10 am, eating frozen waffles for breakfast, skipping all forms of exercise, eating at 10 pm, staying up late, throwing caution to the wind. But I’ve started to realize that by doing these simple things every day, I feel a lot better, even on days when everything else around me seems to be falling apart. There are tons of ways to live a healthy life, so get out there and experiment. Find what works best for you and let me know! I would love to hear some of the things you try to do every day to stay healthy.